Friday, September 29, 2017

Color Symbolism in the Sun Also Rises (As seen through Brett and Jake)

Color Symbolism is a prominent, underlying literary device that Hemingway uses in order to convey specific characteristics regarding the time period. For example, The wine that is drank by the protagonists is primarily red. This is similar to the color of the sun as it rises. In this blog, we will be exploring the implications of this similarity.
Throughout literature, red is used to depict lust. I believe in this novel, the color red is supposed express the lust that each of the main character has. For example, Brett yearns for sexual relations. This fact resonates throughout the entire novel, which is seen when she explains why she cannot be with Jake. Additionally, she falls for Romero, who is a bull-fighter. Since bullfighters usually perform with a red cape, this could be seen as Romero is a master of controlling "lust". This is why Romero gets Brett to fall in love with him.
Additionally, Jake also has a strong connection to Bullfighting, specifically bullfighters themselves. He is even called an aficionado at some point in the novel. I believe that this connection with bullfighting also relates to lust. Towards the end of the book, Jake sort of "loses" his aficionado status. I believe this symbolism relates to his inability to follow his lustful desires. Due to his injury, he cannot pursue sexual relations with others, namely Brett.
Do you guys agree with this analysis? Why do you guys think that the title of this book is, "The Sun Also Rises"? Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I agree that lust is a prominent theme throughout the novel, but I don't necessarily think that is a result of the color red being in the book. I think the lustful theme gives off a redish-black vibe if I had to describe it in a color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point of the blogpost was supposed to present the agrument that the theme "lust" is conveyed by certain objects with the color red. Redish-black is still a subset of the color red, which is usually used to convey the theme, "lust".

      Delete
  2. This is a very interesting concept. I'll admit that I've never actually thought of color symbolism being in the book. I see lust more as a darkish color. Lust lures all the characters in the book and they can't do anything about it. It's so dangerous and once you're in it, it's hard to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is an interesting point! Nice post! This made me think about and try to analyze other color symbolism in the book, but I hit a wall because of how little adjectives and description that Hemingway gives in the novel. It would be much easier with, say, Wolfe. I think that red as a symbol for lust would fit very well into the narrative of The Sun Also Rises. Very interesting and subtle point you've brought up. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely did not consider this in my reading of The Sun also Rises, however it makes some sense. The color red does seem to be prominent in situations that have to do with lust. I believe red is a good choice for portraying this lust because I correlate red with passion. I think the title of the book comes from the epigraph from Ecclesiastes, and I think that it makes a sense that the world goes on, no matter what tragedies and Lost Generations are coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you connect Romero controlling the red cape to Romero controlling the lust of Brett. This theme makes sense throughout the book and it could connect to the title, since there is often red in sunrises. I think the title can also mean that no matter what happens in the friend group, the days will keep coming and going and their lives will continue. It makes me feel like the tiny things that happen to them aren't as important as what happens overall to the characters.

    ReplyDelete